Information about top international banks in UK. Best foreign banks operating London, Birmingham, Manchester, Glasgow, Newcastle, Sheffield, Liverpool, Leeds UK 2021
There are several banks in the United Kingdom and they can be classified according to various criteria. For example, we have British-based financial institutions, which dominate the market, but also foreign banks that operate here, offering almost the exact type of services. Of course, there are also independent British retail banks, but their number is quite low.
Back to the previous two categories, the first refers to banks incorporated in the UK. These organizations are considered Banks by the Prudential Regulation Authority and have a parent company, not necessarily based in the UK.
Secondly, we have the above mentioned foreign banks, which are UK retail banking brands owned by foreign banks. They engage in a wide range of both banking and investments activity in the country, primarily in the wholesale banking markets.
Below you can find a complete list with all international banks in United Kingdom, as well as their owners:
- Allied Irish Bank (GB) and First Trust Bank, both of them being owned by the AIB
- Group of the Republic of Ireland
- Al Rayan Bank, owned by Masraf Al Rayan of Qatar
- Axis Bank UK, owned by Axis Bank of India
- Bank of Ceylon (UK), owned by Bank of Ceylon of Sri Lanka
- Bank of Baroda (UK), owned by Bank of Baroda of India
- Bank of China (UK), owned by Bank of China
- Bank of India (UK), owned by Bank of India
- Bank Sepah International plc, owned by Bank Sepah of Iran
- Zenith Bank (UK), owned by Zenith Bank of Nigeria
- Bank of Ireland UK, owned by Bank of Ireland of the Republic of Ireland. As a side note, this is one of the leading banks in Northern Ireland, also present in the
- UK, but to a lesser extent
- Citibank (UK), owned by Citigroup of the United States
- ICBC (London) plc, owned by Industrial and Commercial Bank of China
- ICICI Bank (UK), owned by ICICI Bank of India
- Danske Bank (formerly Northern Bank), owned by Danske Bank of Denmark
- Punjab National Bank (International), owned by Punjab National Bank of India
- Santander UK (formerly Abbey, Alliance & Leicester and Bradford & Bingley), owned by Santander Group of Spain
- SEB (UK), owned by Skandinaviska Enskilda Banken, Sweden
- Silicon Valley Bank UK, owned by Silicon Valley Bank of the United States
- State Bank of India (UK), owned by State Bank of India
- Svenska Handelsbanken, UK Branch
- The Bank of East Asia, UK Branch
- TSB Bank, part of Sabadell Group, headquartered in Spain
- Union Bank of India (UK) Ltd, owned by Union Bank of India of India
- All these financial institutions are grouped under the Association of Foreign
- Banks (AFB), which is a trade body representing the interests of the foreign banking sector in the United Kingdom to industry stakeholders, like the Government, regulatory bodies, or financial services organizations.
The Association also works as a platform for foreign banks, where they can discuss specific industry topics and share information which could benefit all members. Its main purpose is to make sure that foreign banks continue to thrive in the United Kingdom.